Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Champ De Mars et Hostels in Paris

Sò beautiful. Gorgeous. I spent Sunday going to Le Louvre and the Champ De Mars for La Tour Eiffel. The whole day presented no difficulties and I enjoyed spending the entire time looking at art, playing in the fountain outside Le Louvre and enjoying the delicious formage - French cheese - while people-watching. There was no one to tug on my arm to get more souvenirs and take cheesy photos. Just myself, listening to all the dialects, languages, couples and idosyncracies of each culture. Some things were disappointing. For example, the crowds of silly tourists surrounding the Mona Lisa. How can I enjoy something when I can't even see it? I'd rather go in the middle of a blizzard when no one wants to see Le Louvre. Le Tour Eiffel was impressive, although the walking guards from the French Republic Army were imposing and quite an austere combination with their machine guns staring at me. I took in the sights of the local scene when checking in to my second hostel. This one was more fun than the first because although I had my own room, I didn't truly have an ëxperience as I met no one at Hotel Richard. Not the case this time. Within 5 minutes I had met the hostel "concierge", Guillermo at the front desk. (2) women from Denmark who I shared a room with, Charlotte and another girl I can't pronounce her name - Filjk? My first American tourist friend, Nicole, arrived from a trip to Belgium/Netherlands as my third roommate right after my check-in. We shared some wine and french food nearby and I discovered a person who was living my dream. Nicole finished her masters in Gender Studies at Dublin just a month ago, I believe, then decided to apply for a masters degree at a small town outside of Paris




No comments:

Itinerary

  • Stop 10: 08/10 | Venice, Italy (Departure 12:35pm)
  • Stop 09: 08/04-08/09 | Cinque Terre, Italy
  • Stop 08: 08/03-08/04 | Milan, Italy
  • Stop 07: 08/01-08/02 | Berlin/Munich, Germany (Stephanie, Liesel, Jack)
  • Stop 06: 07/30-08/01 | Breda, NL (Arjan, Lorene, Lex, Lisa)
  • Stop 05: 07/29 | Den Hague, NL (Oom Eerie/Tante Jona)
  • Stop 04: 07/28-07/29 | Amsterdam, NL (Tamarah & Tobias)
  • Stop 03: 07/26-07/28 | Paris, France (Florence's Parents/Cousins)
  • Stop 02: 07/25-07/26 | London, Great Britain (Arrival 8:05am)
  • Stop 01: 07/24 | New York, NY (Departure 5:40pm)
  • Stop 00A-00B: 07/21-07/24 | Buffalo, NY (Work/Customer Event)