Sunday, July 27, 2008

Jetting...





What Kimberly looks like when she misses her flight. And -- spends one less day in Europe.



Second day on vacation. I write to you from a hostel in the middle of Paris, on the West side. Arrival in London was smooth, although an entire 24-hours after I was supposed to be there. My stay in Buffalo turned out to be fantastic as I had a local tour guide who took me downtown, and we met a few friends who were able to share a few drinks, dinner and a couple games of pool. I guarantee it was better than going to JFK and spending the night in the airport. I'm certain I would have stayed with my luggage and spent my time trying to use the Wifi, instead of finding a last-minute hostel or hotel. As luck would have it, I flew in on-time the next morning at 8:40am and spent the afternoon in Central Park, which I'd never been to. Superb. I spent 2 hours trying to get back to JFK after running around the park with my luggage (NOT FUN) and this was because I still haven't figured out the New york subway...Sometimes we have to learn the hard way, I suppose. In any case, I made it just in time at 4:30pm or so for the Aer Lingus airlines to change my ticket (They don't come in to the ticket counter until 2:00pm and that's why I left the airport for Central Park.) I flew through security sweating profusely and substantially enough that it was possible I scared my companion in the seat next to me. He, apparently, was considerate enough to pretend I didn't smell funny. The man next to me turned out to be Irish and to have a seven-hr companion you can talk to is a very good thing. Especially one that lets you breathe for a bit of sleep, as well. I definitely lucked out. I was flying through Dublin to London, which would explain how I ended up with an Irishman, and before you knew it...I was promising to come back and visit Dublin within the year. Who would have thought? I already promised to travel before I even touched on overseas soil. Could not help myself...

No comments:

Itinerary

  • Stop 10: 08/10 | Venice, Italy (Departure 12:35pm)
  • Stop 09: 08/04-08/09 | Cinque Terre, Italy
  • Stop 08: 08/03-08/04 | Milan, Italy
  • Stop 07: 08/01-08/02 | Berlin/Munich, Germany (Stephanie, Liesel, Jack)
  • Stop 06: 07/30-08/01 | Breda, NL (Arjan, Lorene, Lex, Lisa)
  • Stop 05: 07/29 | Den Hague, NL (Oom Eerie/Tante Jona)
  • Stop 04: 07/28-07/29 | Amsterdam, NL (Tamarah & Tobias)
  • Stop 03: 07/26-07/28 | Paris, France (Florence's Parents/Cousins)
  • Stop 02: 07/25-07/26 | London, Great Britain (Arrival 8:05am)
  • Stop 01: 07/24 | New York, NY (Departure 5:40pm)
  • Stop 00A-00B: 07/21-07/24 | Buffalo, NY (Work/Customer Event)